The Art of Chinese Teochew Opera
Get behind-the-scenes and in the shoes of Teochew Opera performers
*Finalist for the Best Tour Experience in the 2019 Singapore Tourism Awards
Go behind-the-scenes of staging Chinese Opera performances and meet third-generation performers from one of the last remaining Teochew Opera & Puppetry troupes in Singapore. These passionate and talented young performers will inspire you with their singing, acting and instrument-playing skills. Guests will don an opera costume, perform a skit and learn to play the traditional instruments, under the guidance of the masters of this classic performing art.
Chinese Opera is a form of entertainment brought by migrants from South China. The performers’ intricate make-up and costumes are eye-catching, and the art involves acting, singing and dancing. Historically, performances were dedicated to religious deities as thanksgiving for blessing the migrants’ safe travels.
- Get a glimpse of how performers apply their expressive makeup, prepare their unique ‘water curl’ hairdos.
- Understand the meanings behind the traditional costumes, headdresses and characters will be revealed; as well as insight into their specific acting skills, use of facial expressions, gestures and postures, fight choreography, singing and speech.
- Opportunity to wear the opera costumes/gear and learn the movements (sword fighting, riding a “horse” etc…) & play the musical instruments.
- Duration: 2 hours
- Inclusions: Licensed tourist guide, transport, opportunity to wear the opera costumes/gear and perform with the professional opera troupe
- Visit to Underwater World on Sentosa Island.
- Visit the bottom of the sea in a 269 feet long tunnel, showcasing the rich variety of marine life.
Arrive Singapore. Met and transferred to your hotel.
- Meet and greet on arrival at Airport.
- Accommodation and meals as indicated in the itinerary (B – Breakfast, L – Lunch, D – Dinner).
- Entrance fees where applicable.
- Tours as indicated in the itinerary.
- Professional English-speaking guide/driver guide.
- Travel Protection is offered on all packages at an additional cost.