Highlights of Rwanda
Rwanda, a magical land of volcanoes, rainforests, rivers and lakes beckon you to East Africa, as this is the home of the endangered mountain gorilla! Parc National de Volcans or Volcano National Park is home to over 300 mountain gorillas. Gorillas in the Mist, a gorilla trekking encounter, is one of the most exhilarating wildlife experiences in the world. Gorilla encounters are possible due to the research efforts most notably by Dion Fossey, having studied these extraordinary primates for more than 20 years in their natural habitats of Rwanda. In Nyungwe National Park, your adventure may continue with a trekking tour to see the chimpanzees.
Your visit to Rwanda will begin in the capital city of Kigali. You will be driven west to Ruhengeri which is the starting point for your gorilla tour. All travelers will be instructed in trekking procedures and “what to expect” when encountering the gorillas. A typical tour extends from two to six hours depending on the movement of the gorilla population. You will have many opportunities to photograph the lush volcanic mountain-tops and the gorillas.
- Gorilla trekking in the Parc National de Volcans.
- Up-close encounters with the mountain gorillas using expert trekking guides.
- Breath-taking views of the volcanoes and lush vegetation of the Rwanda highlands.
- Experience the culture and essence of the historical past of the Rwandese people.
- Encounter the chimpanzees of Rwanda on your extension tour.
On arrival at Kigali International Airport, proceed through immigrations and customs. After formalities are completed, be met and transferred by our local guide (who will be holding a sign board with your name and our logo) to the Kigali Serena Hotel for check in and overnight.
Overnight Kigali Serena Hotel, Standard room accommodation.
Kigali – Ruhengeri (B/L/D)
After breakfast at the hotel, check out and prepare for your transfer to the Ruhengeri Mountains.
Depart on a scenic drive west towards Ruhengeri, the base for Gorilla trekking at the Parc National des Volcans. The town itself, located only 15.5 miles from the Uganda border, is a small city of only 70,000 people. The people of Ruhengeri, although, a former Belgian colony, are hospitable and speak both French and English. Upon arrival check and overnight at the lodge of your choice.
Overnight Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge or Gorilla Mountain View Lodge, Standard room accommodation.
Parc National de Volcans (B/L/D)
Enjoy an early breakfast at your lodge. At 06.30AM Transfer to the Volcanoes National Park HQs. At 07.00AM: Registration, where the park staff determines which group of gorillas you will visit. The park staff discusses your fitness level and advises you of the trekking times and conditions to the various groups based upon their location in the park the previous evening. There are a total of 80 gorilla permits available each day with a maximum of eight trekkers visiting any one group. Once the trekkers are put into groups, each group’s Lead Guide briefs the trekkers of the trekking procedures as well as the “do’s and don’ts” while in the presence of gorillas. After the briefing, trekkers return to their respective vehicles for the drive up the mountain to the starting point. Porters may be hired for the trek to carry your backpack and gear. The cost, US$10 per person/per day. We advise that you utilize this service. Trekking can take from two to six or more hours if the gorillas move before the park rangers locate them the next morning. The guides stop frequently to allow trekkers a chance to rest and take photos along the way.
Lunch and Dinner at your Lodge.
Overnight Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, or Gorilla Mountain View Lodge Standard room accommodation.
Kigali – Departure (B)
Early breakfast at your lodge.
- Optional activities: Parc National de Volcans for an additional Gorilla Trek or Golden Monkey Trek.
Depart from foothills of the Virunga volcanoes and drive south past coffee, tea and banana plantations on a scenic drive to Kigali.
Transfer to Kigali International Airport for your departure flight.
Land cost per person on twin sharing basis.
Please call us for a customized quote.
Travel Protection is offered by us and is an additional cost.
- All airport transfers and assistance.
- Accommodation in Kigali on Bed and Breakfast.
- Accommodation on safari on Full board basis.
- Private transport in a 4×4 tourist converted jeeps.
- Services of an English speaking driver-guides.
- City Tour of Kigali with a visit Genocide Museum.
- Gorilla permit (quoted separately).
- Bottled drinking water while trekking and in vehicle.
- All taxes on the services quoted above.
Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge Cost Includes :
- Full board accommodation / 3 meals per day - Laundry - Room service.
- Drinks (wines, beers & soft drinks) .
- Sabyinyo provides gators, gloves, backpacks and snacks for on safari.
- Meals and beverages, other than specified in itinerary.
- International, regional and local Airfares.
- Airport taxes.
- Passport/Visa fees including service charges for obtaining visas.
- Excess baggage charges levied by airlines.
- Gratuities to driver/guides and other conveyance attendants.
- Laundry and other items of a personal nature such drinks, telephone calls ETC.
- Personal, baggage, Accident and Trip Cancellation/Interruption insurance.
- Cost for anything not specifically mentioned in the “inclusions” listing above.
Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge Cost Excludes :
- Drinks (champagnes, liqueurs & spirits) .
- Personal expenses.
- Transfers costs .
- Vehicle for hire.
- Gorilla trekking fees for Volcanoes National Park.