Extravagant Snow Leopard Trek
The very name evokes all that is most wild, mysterious and elusive in nature – for this is an animal that comes cloaked not just in the subtle beauty of its own coat but also in all the high drama of the harsh and magnificent environment that it dominates. Well known for its beautiful fur, the snow leopard has a whitish-tan coat with ringed spots of dark, ashy-brown and rosettes of black. Its tail is heavy with fur and the bottoms of its paws are covered with fur for protection against snow and cold.
There are a couple different ways these treks are conducted. First is to carry all your luggage and gear and trek from village to village spending nights in homestays within some of these remote areas. The second option and the one that is preferred is to make a base camp and then each day trek searching for the snow leopard. This way you get to explore in different directions radiating from the base camp. Along with you on your trek you will be accompanied by an expert guide, Khenrap Phuntshog. Khenrap has been associated with the Wildlife Protection Department of Jammu and Kashmir for the last fifteen years and has spent much of his time ‘in the field’ tracking and monitoring the wildlife and birds of the region. He is an expert in the snow leopards as well as being a keen conservationist and wildlife guard and, by default has become a keen wildlife photographer. Having spent most of his life monitoring this region, he knows each hill and valley as well as the territories roamed by the local fauna making him one of the best people to lead this trip. (An expert guide should be booked in advance and can be finalized depending on availability on the requested dates. We do have other wildlife experts in the region with similar profiles).
An attractive contrast of the snow leopard trek is the beginning and ending of your tour. This includes tours of the monasteries in Leh with its picturesque villages and also a city tour of Delhi. Enjoy the culture of the people and the gentle and cheerful Buddhism that they practice.
Please note: The Snow Leopard being an elusive and a very shy cat, it is very difficult to get a sight of it during the summer months, but during the winter the snow leopard comes down for water and prey. We have chose the months of this tour specifically as this is the time when they are mating, marked by a noticeable increase in marking and calling. This tour does consist of a moderate to strenuous trek 7 days out of the 14 day tour. The trek is definitely for those looking for a unique wilderness experience, however, with this uniqueness comes the challenges and one must fully understand the situation that they are getting into. This is NOT a luxury safari, it requires a certain level of fitness and flexibility in terms of adjusting to the lifestyle of the area. Uphill climbs and climbing a ridge are possible depending on the movement. Please confirm with your practitioner on your physical fitness level regarding this tour.
- 2 nights in Delhi at luxury hotel.
- City tour of Delhi.
- 2 nights in Leh at a superior hotel.
- Visiting monasteries in Leh.
- Trek the snow leopards.
- Accommodation in Hozing on trek (7 nights) in mobile tents with foam mattresses.
- All meals included.
Arrive Delhi (March 15, 2015)
Arrive at Delhi’s International Airport this afternoon/evening. Welcome to India! You are met by our representative in the arrival area of the airport after you clear all immigration and customs formalities. Depart for your hotel where you will check in (starts at noon) for your overnight stay. Delhi stands as the capital of Modern India. Here you can see the mingling of the Old and New India, the ancient and the modern. Delhi is made up of seven ancient cities, spanning the period from the 11th to 20th centuries. Delhi has seen the rise and fall of many emperors, which was left behind a plethora of monuments that commemorate the grandeur and glory of bygone ages. Very few cities in the world can express such as profusion of architectural styles. Rest of the day is free for independent activities.
Delhi – Leh (flight) (March 16, 2015)
This flight from the Indian capital to Ladach’s capital will be something that you might remember for the rest of your life. Welcome to Leh, the capital of Ladakh. Met and assist on arrival and proceed to your hotel. There will be no activity on your first day of arrival as it is recommend for tourists to relax and undergo minimal exertion to enable them to get acclimatized to rarefied oxygen level in this high-altitude region ensconced in the high Himalayan plateau.
Land cost per person on twin sharing basis.
Please call us for a customized quote.
Travel Protection is offered by us and is an additional cost.
- Accommodation: Includes Le Meridien deluxe room for 2 nights. The Grand Dragon Hotel – 4 star category with central heating facility for 4 nights; while on the trek (8 days) using mobile Vaudee trek tents with foam mattress; dining with heat; kitchen; decomposes soil toilet with western seat.
- Meals: Inclusive of Breakfast in Delhi and all meals (Breakfast Lunch Dinner) in Leh & during treks.
- Transportation: Using Toyota Innova as per the itinerary; with pick-up/drop from trekking point.
- Luggage Van: Includes luggage van to drop/pick-up from the trekking point.
- Trek Staff: Includes accompanied cook with assistance and accompanied experienced guide.
- Equipment: Includes three-season mobile tent; dining tent; kitchen tent; toilet tent all the furniture and crockery’s throughout the trek.
- Ponies: Includes a service of ponies for carrying the provision all throughout the trek.
- Water: Includes bottled mineral water in rooms & during sightseeing; boiled filtered water while trekking.
- Spotting Scope: A common spotting scope.
- Heating facility: Includes heating in dining tent followed with hot water bottles in bed.
- First Aid: Includes first aid kit with oxygen cylinders.
- Airfare charges / extra baggage charges.
- Insurance of any kind, Camera fee, and laundry charges, alcoholic beverages, mineral water with meals. (Please note: We do not encourage bottled water during trek) Items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities.
- Cost incidental to any change in the itinerary/stay on account of flight cancellation due to bad weather, ill health, roadblocks and/or any factors beyond control.
- Anything not mentioned.